Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Some Days Don't Go As Planned, and a Chocolate Cake Recipe!

Due to a busy morning (dentist appt, drug store, shopping) I didn't eat breakfast till about 10:30. Breakfast was oatmeal with brown sugar, walnuts and pecans, and coconut stirred in, and a spash of almond milk.  Coffee of course and 
  
a bagel, with peanut butter and jelly

Here's the bagels I bought this time.  They were out of the regular sized whole wheat so I got the mini's
And this is the jelly I use.  I get it in the 3 pack at BJ's Wholesale Club.  It's really good!  No added sugar
For lunch, soup!
Soup always tastes better in a Garfield mug! This is one left of a set I got for my birthday back in the 80's! I had some left over tofikken masala too
At some point I had to say goodbye to what was left of a dark chocolate candy bar I bought at the Lexington Co-op back before Thanksgiving! Boo
So good!  I had another Green Monster
But by the time I remembered it's photo op it looked like this
Amazing how just 3 ingredients can taste so good.  And it doesn't taste like banana or spinach.  Weird.
Snack as some point included another cupcake
with my afternoon cup of coffee.  I need coffee in the pm because I work so hard all day.  Heh heh.
Although I promised you macaroni and cheeze for dinner, the husband wanted spaghetti and that is the ONE THING that we both eat.  Translated - I  only have to make ONE meal.  So mac and cheeze got shelved till  today.  I do use store bought sauce, but I add lots of sauted onions, peppers, mushrooms and garlic, so it's semi-homemade.  I also had a huge salad and some green beans.  Almond milk to drink.  Almond milk doesn't taste like almonds btw, it just tastes really good.  I always buy the Vanilla and the plain.  I use the plain in recipes where the vanilla just doesn't work.  But put it on your list to try ok?  Much better than cow's milk I swear!  And since I gave up skim milk  etc, I'm not all 'mucus-y'.  Gross yes but you know what I'm talking about!
Tell me that doesn't look like an awesome meal. 
At some point during the evening I had some V8
And I think that covers my day!  I didn't eat all that much yesterday because I got a late start and because I'm on an antibiotic and that always messes with my stomach and my appetite.  
Okay on to my Mom's recipe!  It's from back when she belonged to Home Bureau and they got together and did crafts and exchanged recipes etc.  Way back in the day.
Here's the book it's from and here's her name! She's famous!
1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup cocoa
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon soda
Sift dry ingredients into a 9 inch cake pan (I make cupcakes instead).  Add liquids
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 teaspoons vinegar
1/3 vegetable oil
1 cup water
and mix well.  Bake 30 minutes at 350.  (I bake the cupcakes approx 20 minutes)
Frosting is crisco, powdered sugar, vanilla and almond milk.  Sometimes I add cocoa for chocolate frosting.  It's that easy!
Just a few things worth mentioning - I always try to buy whole wheat products.  SO much better for you.  And there's certain rules I try an go by...
1) Only eat food that will eventually rot. (A Twinkie ten years from now will look, and probably taste,  EXACTLY the same as now)
2) Only eat foods with less than 5 ingredients.
3) Only eat foods with ingredients you can pronounce.

I have more rules, along with the credits they belong to but I'll save all that for another post.  I will say, if you have a chance to read any book by Michael Pollan, do it!
Okay, back tomorrow with the mac and cheeze recipe.  But tell me, have you missed any meat or dairy in my meals yet??  I haven't and I  bet you haven't either!

4 comments:

  1. Best chocolate cake recipe ever!! Always turns out delish and moist. yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to try these cupcakes this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmm maybe i'll try that recipe tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so easy! If you make it as a cake and not cupcakes you mix it right in the pan

    ReplyDelete

Don't be 'chicken', leave a comment!