Saturday, January 8, 2011

BRB - Out in the Forest, Foraging for Nuts

No not really!  But that is the impression that lots of people have about a plant based diet.  Really, that couldn't be further from the truth.  Sure, I eat lots of fruit and veggies (and psst you should too) but I did that before.  But did you know that Fritos are vegan?  And Oreos?  Hey I never said that everything vegan was healthy!  There are some things you think wouldn't be vegan, that are, such as Manwich, Baco-s,  Bisquick and Ritz Crackers (what makes them buttery then??)  Here's a link to some other products -  Foods that you wouldn't think are vegan, that are!
And don't think that I'm staying home, gnawing on carrots.  Lots of restaurants have vegan friendly items.  I have also learned to talk to my waiter/waitress and ask if the chef will make substitutions, or even better, make something special just for me.  The chef at the Hillside Inn in Wyoming made me a great vegan pizza;  I was able to get  modified a bruschetta flatbread at a Ruby Tuesdays in South Carolina (they normally have a cheese layer on theirs) and the chef at the Gardenview Restaurant in West Seneca made me a great plate of Spaghetti - subbing out the meatballs for heaps of delicious grilled veggies.  Even bar menus have non-meat options - sweet potato fries (yum!) french fries, and deep fried veggies.  I have never had to resort to ordering a salad. Nothing against salads but I tend to think of them as a last resort because they seem so typical.  I like to be different!
If you have any questions, be sure to leave them in the comments section.  And make sure to keep checking back here, I've got a great giveaway coming up next week!

4 comments:

  1. You make being vegan sound so yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Remember how good my dinner was at the Ruby Tuesday? The Sangria helped!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm loving the layout of your new blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! Did you notice you're on the blog roll? --->

    ReplyDelete

Don't be 'chicken', leave a comment!